Home Blog Page 72

Daniel Bryan Says WWE Is Hesitant To Clear Him, Doesn’t Want Him Talking About His Situation, More

0

Daniel Bryan joined David Shoemaker and Peter Rosenberg on ESPN’s Cheap Heat podcast, to promote his new book, Yes! My Improbable Journey To The Main Event Of WrestleMania. Here are the highlights, and be sure to check out the full podcast at this link.

* The hosts pretend to read off their notes and call Daniel Bryan a “professional wrestler,” and he’s surprised it doesn’t say “sports entertainer.” As is turns out, they were joking, but Daniel Bryan said he doesn’t get reprimanded for using the term. He notes that in WWE appearances, he’ll just say “WWE Superstar.”

* Daniel Bryan says he feels great, and says “The situation is I’ve been cleared by one doctor in Phoenix, but the WWE doctor is hesitant to clear me. I guess they don’t want me really talking about it.”

* Bryan thinks that from WWE’s perspective, they wanted him to bring prestige back to the Intercontinental title. He says the situation unfolds on the new season of Total Divas.

* Bryan talks about missing a flight for the Money in the Bank PPV because nobody told him he was needed for the show. He contacted travel people and writers, and nobody had any idea why.

* He says WWE is looking out for his best interests, and times have changed.

* “There’s mixed opinions on what’s best for me,” Bryan said. “It’s not like I just have some guy who’s my buddy who just happens to be a doctor (that cleared me).”

* Daniel Bryan confirmed that a combination of CM Punk leaving and Batista not panning out as reasons why he ended up main eventing WrestleMania. He says that the idea was presented a couple of weeks after the Royal Rumble. He said that he’s not kept abreast of things.

* He says he had to contact John Cena to get Vince McMahon’s number and said Vince has called him twice in his life, one of which was in 2008 before an ROH show. He says he tells the story in the book.

* Initially, he felt the pressure of being Bryan Danielson in WWE instead of Daniel Bryan, but CM Punk’s career path helped WWE give him an opportunity.

* Daniel Bryan says he gets more frustrated following Brie’s career than his, because guys get more opportunities. “If I’m on TV and losing every week, I’m losing in ten minutes. I get the opportunity that I can wrestle. For the Divas it’s different.” He says it’s hard to be popular when you’re losing in three minute matches every week. He puts over Total Divas, and how hard the twins work.

* Bryan says he still thinks as a wrestler and has plenty of ideas saved up. He still watches wrestling when he’s bored.

Backstage News On Possible Plans For WWE SmackDown Moving To The USA Network In 2016

0

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that WWE SmackDown is pretty much seen as a lame-duck show until it switches stations to the USA Network in January 2016.

Jerry Lawler previously teased that the show may go back to Friday nights and go live but we’ve heard no update on that. However, there has been talk of debuting SmackDown on USA with a live Tuesday night special.

Once SmackDown is moved to the USA Network next year it will likely be booked as a “all hands on-deck” show, comparable to RAW.

Daniel Bryan Admits Concussion; Talks Being Cleared By His Doctor, WWE Contract Status

0

Daniel Bryan appeared on Boomer and Carton on WFAN in New York this morning. During the interview, Bryan was asked straight up about his health and he admitted that he suffered a concussion in April. He said that he’s had a lengthy history of concussions and in today’s world, because of that, it takes forever to get cleared to compete.

Bryan stated that a neurologist in Phoenix, who worked for the NFL during SuperBowl weekend, cleared him. However, he thinks that WWE doctors are hesitant to clear him because they are fearful that he will suffer another concussion and they will be liable. He said he feels amazing and is itching to get back into the ring. He admitted that he has no idea when he will receive clearance from WWE doctors.

Bryan also noted that he has 3 years left on his WWE contract and that he has been getting frustrated about not being able to wrestle despite being fully healthy, in his opinion.

Luke contrib

Spoilers: TNA Impact, One Night Only, And Xplosion Tapings From Tonight

0

Credit: Marc Middleton

TNA taped more content tonight in Orlando. No word yet on when these will air but champions did not come out with their titles so it appears these are One Night Only pay-per-view and Xplosion tapings but our correspondent indicated that one or two matches and a promo may have been taped for Impact Wrestling. Thanks to Jeremy for live spoilers:

* Drew Galloway defeated Bram

* Rockstar Spud defeated Grado

* Awesome King defeated Madison Rayne

* Ethan Carter III and Austin Aries with Rosita went to a time limit draw

* Abyss defeated Eric Young

* Bobby Roode defeated James Storm

* Matt Hardy defeated Davey Richards

* Brooke Tessmacher defeated Gail Kim

* Kenny King defeated Aiden O’Shea (Jay Bradley)

* DJ Zema Ion defeated Tigre Uno

* Tyrus defeated Chris Melendez in a match for Xplosion

* Eli Drake came out for a promo about being the best wrestler in TNA. He wrestled Micah to a double count out. They got a restart and Micah won by pinfall

* Robbie E defeated Eddie Edwards

* Jessie Godderz defeated Crimson

* Manik defeated Mark Andrews

* Mahabali Shera defeated Crazzy Steve

* Drew Galloway defeated Grado

* Eric Young came out and cut a promo on how he would be the tournament winner

* EY defeated Bobby Roode

* Bram defeated Spud but demanded the match be restarted so he could continue the punishment. It was restarted and Spud quickly won

* Bobby Lashley defeated Mr. Anderson

Backstage News On ESPN Possibly Covering WWE

0

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

An interesting situation to watch over the next month is ESPN possibly covering the WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view and weekend events in New York City.

We noted a few weeks back how ESPN’s Jonathan Coachman, who previously worked for WWE, has been pushing fans to contact ESPN with the idea of covering SummerSlam like it’s a big sporting event. There are reportedly people within ESPN who have fallen for the idea that WWE is hot right now, even though ratings are at record lows and attendance is below usual numbers.

ESPN officials are feeling pressure because of drops in revenue. There said to be people dead-set against the idea, feeling that ESPN should not cover pro wrestling because it’s not a sport.

Bully Ray’s Recent TNA Impact Appearance Leads To WWE Losing Interest In Having Him At NXT

0

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

WWE reportedly wanted to use Bully Ray for a one-shot booking at the May 15th NXT live event in Philadelphia but an appearance he made for TNA caused WWE officials to change their mind.

WWE wanted to use Bully because he would have received an easy pop in Philadelphia but ended up giving the role to Tommy Dreamer, who lost to Baron Corbin that night. WWE lost interest in using Bully when he appeared on the May 8th TNA Impact Wrestling episode to special referee a World Heavyweight Title Match between Eric Young and Kurt Angle. It should be noted that Dreamer has also been working backstage and on TV for TNA.

Even though Bully recently returned to TNA as their new authority figure, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter points out that he is still pitching for another run in WWE. Bully spoke with The Fight Network this past weekend and talked about another WWE run, noting that he and Devon are their the best shape in 15 years.

Backstage News On WWE – ROH And NJPW, The ‘Major Double-Cross’ With Jushin Liger, NXT

0

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that WWE announcing international legend Jushin “Thunder” Liger for the August 22nd NXT Takeover event in Brooklyn has opened up a “political hornets nest” due to Liger being a New Japan Pro Wrestling talent and NJPW being a partner of Ring of Honor, which runs head-to-head with NXT in the same city that night, with a show also features NJPW stars.

ROH reportedly sold 1,100 tickets for their Field of Honor show that night, a number they were happy with. They were expecting 2,000 tickets sold but The Observer notes that ticket sales stalled once WWE announced Takeover. Ticket sales also reportedly stalled for Jim Ross’ “Ringside” one-man show, which takes place in nearby Manhattan. It was noted that any talks there would have been about moving shows to the afternoon to avoid head-to-head competition were decided against, but it wasn’t specified which company decided against making a move. WWE actually canceled a live event in White Plains, NY that night to avoid splitting their audience.

We’ve noted how there are moves being made behind-the-scenes in WWE that relate to ROH. WWE has reportedly contacted at least one venue that ROH uses with the idea that WWE will run them if they no longer book ROH.

WWE booking Liger could be the start of a relationship between NJPW and WWE, who hasn’t officially worked with any groups in Japan for years. ROH was not aware of Liger being booked for Takeover until the news broke and The Observer notes that even by pro wrestling standards, the booking is a major double-cross. It should be noted that Liger is able to book himself anywhere but NJPW is promoting the NXT appearance.

Newly Eliminated Patrick Clark Says He Thought There’d Be More Wrestling On Tough Enough

0

The latest eliminated WWE Tough Enough competitor, Patrick Clark, spoke to Channel Guide Magazine about his shocking exit from the show this week. You can check out the highlights below:

His elimination:

“My first thought was hopefully I could win a Slammy for Shocker of the Year. Second thought was disappointment. I definitely didn’t think I should have been the one going home out of the bottom three, but it is what it is. You live and you learn…I feel like as far as that particular episode goes, the audience didn’t like the way I tried to motivate ZZ. It was understandable. I was pretty much the bad guy on the show. My confidence ended up being an error for me and proved to be my downfall.”

Expecting a different Tough Enough experience:

“I thought it would be more wrestling related. I don’t know if you saw what Mick Foley tweeted, but he said I made the mistake of thinking ‘Tough Enough’ was a wrestling show and not a reality show. I honestly did make that mistake. Five weeks was not enough time for me to fix it.”

His prediction to win the show:

“Josh has proven himself since he has been here. Injuries stopped him with football, so he wants to play a sport and participate in a competition. He is a competitor. He is ready to move. He has his family ready to move. Whether he wins or loses, he wants to come to Florida to start a journey at NXT. GiGi has shown so much growth. She was this sweet little girl. Then on one episode she showed she can be this, you know what. She is ahead of the girls as far as the competition goes. She is on a roll. She is improving every single week.”

STAY CONNECTED

402FollowersFollow
15FollowersFollow

LATEST NEWS